Windows 10 has been fully unleashed for over a full year now. Many updates, patches and alerts later – yet we still see hoards of customers experiencing issues with the operating system. The short answer we try to explain to people is that with Windows 10 you really do not own the operating system anymore. Microsoft controls the system & driver updates and more importantly they have full access to every file and word on your computer. Don’t believe us? Read the full Windows 10 EULA (HERE) and the Service Agreement (HERE).
To be fair many clients have Windows 10 and love it. But also in being fair most of our business clients and general home users (including me) have a disdain for Windows 10 for more or less the same reasons. Change. Not many people like change and if you’re in business you really don’t like change in the IT area as change equals $.
- Incorrect drivers being auto installed
- Older programs or hardware being incompatible with Windows 10
- Long, continuous updating periods – often leading to failure and blue screens
- Older computers with lesser specs trying to run the OS and causing it to run slow and buggy
- Lack of control and privacy
- The cost of upgrading for the simple fact of upgrading
Here is list of some solutions to rid yourself of Windows 10:
- Roll back to Windows 7 or 8.1. Assuming you have a valid Windows license and drivers are available. The support for these older yet functional operating systems goes until 2020 & 2023. See HERE for clarification.
- Purchase a slightly used or older PC with Windows 7 or 8.1 already installed. As of this post you can no longer buy new computers with Windows 7.
- Install Linux or similar open source operating system.
- Move to a Mac.
As we go forward Windows 10 is the operating system of the future. Its continuous updates will keep it morphing and changing as long as Microsoft wants to support it. I for one am not looking forward to the day when I will have to seriously consider Windows 10 to continue using Windows based applications for our business. The good news is we have a few years to see what happens before then.
If you have questions or want to discuss your computer issues with us please CONTACT us and we will be happy to assist you.
***Mention this post for 10% off your next service or $50.00 off your next computer purchase with us.